1. Being outside, or almost outside, makes me feel more connected to what’s going on around me. Spend all day in a house and you don’t always notice what the weather is doing. When camping you’ll definitely notice if it’s sunny (the tent will be stiflingly hot) or raining (it will be loud and possibly leaking).
2. I like feeling cosy in a small space.
3. I like being forced not not carry much stuff, to live for a week with only the possessions I can put on my back.
4. Especially at a music festival (which, let’s face it, is the only time I ever find myself in a tent), camping is the perfect excuse to be a bit muddy, hairy and make-up free.
5. Coming home again. There is nothing like that first shower after a week at a festival, that first cup of tea out of a proper cup with non-UHT milk, or that first night being able to stretch out and snuggle up in your own bed.