‘In The Sea, The Sea, Iris Murdoch’s protagonist said: “The secret to a happy life is continuous small treats.” I feel the truth of this statement all the way down to the roots of my being.’ Susannah Conway
The following are things that make me happy. The little moments that make life slow down and leave a smile on my face.
1. Sunshine on my skin.
2. A really good song. You know the one – when you first hear it you have to skip back a track to hear it again.
3. A mug of tea. Possibly even with hot buttered toast or a biscuit.
4. A new book (and a free afternoon in which to read it).
5. Freshly painted toenails.
6. A cold glass of white wine.
7. A long hot shower.
8. Cuddles on the sofa.
9. Long walks.
10. A conversation with a friend.
11. Afternoon naps.
12. A good yoga class.
13. Fresh flowers.
14. Looking out across water.
15. A mango. Or raspberries. Or pineapple.
16. Coming in from the cold to a roaring fire.
17. Laughing til my stomach hurts (and the people who make me).
18. Walking barefoot on grass.